Dipl.-Biol. Jens Ulleweit
Institute of Sea FisheriesHerwigstraße 31
- +49 471 94460 117
- +49 471 94460 199
- Catch composition of different commercial fisheries with special emphasis on discards
- Egg production and biology in general of mackerel and horse mackerel
- Member of various ICES and EU expert groups
- Population dynamics and assessment of pelagic fish stocks (herring, mackerel, horse mackerel, blue whiting and sprat) in the North Sea and North Atlantic
- Biological monitoring of German fisheries activities and derivation of protection measures for fish stocks
- EU Data Collection Framework (DCF)
- Recruitment research: Investigation of fish eggs and larvae in terms of species composition and size
Educational background and employment
- since 2002: Scientist at the Institute of Sea Fisheries.
- 2001 – 2002: Employed as scientific observer on commercial fishing trips at the German Federal Research Centre of Fisheries.
- 1998 – 2000: Assistant project manager in a commercial environment in London, UK.
- 1996 – 1998: Research fellow at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research; participation in research projects: “The impact of the Europipe installation on fish and decapods” and “Zoogeographic investigations on eelpout Zoarces viviparous”.
- 1995: Diploma thesis at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research in frame of the UBA project “Development of a monitoring strategy for the fish and crustaceans of the East Frisian Wadden Sea” (On the ecology of two resident fish species from the Wadden Sea, Eelpout [Zoarces viviparus] and butterfish [Pholis gunnellus]).
- 1991 – 1995: Working student at the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, Bremerhaven. Studies of biology in Frankfurt am Main and Bremen.
Working Groups and Committees
|Working Group - Committee||Tasks|
|Working Group on Commercial Catches (WGCATCH)||WGCATCH documents national fishery sampling schemes, establishes best practice and guidelines on sampling and estimation procedures, and provides advice on other uses of fishery data.|
|Working Group on Integrating Surveys for the Ecosystem Approach (WGISUR)||This group explores the integration and further development of the surveys coordinated by ICES to inform the ecosystem approach as well as adding value to existing surveys.|
|Working Group on Mackerel and Horse Mackerel Egg Surveys (WGMEGS)||This group coordinates the mackerel and horse mackerel egg survey in the Northeast Atlantic and the mackerel egg survey in the North Sea, both which are carried out every third year.|
|Working Group on Widely Distributed Stocks (WGWIDE)||This group compiles and analyses data on blue whiting, Western and North Sea horse mackerel, North East Atlantic mackerel, Norwegian spring spawning herring, and boarfish to provide the annual ICES advice.|
|Working Group on Biological Parameters (WGBIOP)||The group is devoted to the provision of biological parameters at a national, regional, and stock level, serving as a bridge between data collectors and end users.|
|Expert Working Groups on the EU Data Collection Framework (DCF)||EU expert working groups on the Data Collection Framework (DCF), e.g. for the evaluation of the DCF work plans and annual reports.|
Scroll to top