The coordination unit supports the head of the Thünen Institute in coordinating the activities on issues related to climate and soil protection in agriculture and forestry, on issues of climate impacts and adaptation to climate change in agriculture, forestry and fisheries, on issues of biological diversity, and acts as a contact point for policymakers. We bundle the related research activities in the portfolio of the Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL).
Work area climate
Regarding Climate topics, the focus is on:
- the consolidation of research results on climate mitigation, climate impacts and adaptation to climate change in agriculture, forestry and fisheries
- the consolidation of research results into coordinated overall key messages
- the addressee-oriented preparation of scientific results and
- the translation into policy proposals for improving the climate mitigation performance of the agricultural and forestry sector and for climate adaptation.
We promote cross-institutional and cross-divisional coordination on issues of emissions reporting, climate mitigtation, climate impacts and adaptation, initiate cross-institutional working groups, promote networking in departmental research and conduct own research on overarching issues.
We are happy to answer your questions on climate mitigation and climate adaptation in agriculture, forestry and fisheries and to find the right contact persons in the diverse institutes within Thuenen.
Work area climate
Regarding Soil, the focus is on:
- the compilation of soil-relevant research results from the different Thünen Institutes departements into coordinated overall presentations
- the development of policy concepts for soil use and soil protection, and
- the design of communication concepts for a sustainable transfer of knowledge into agricultural and forestry practice. We promote the networking of soil research in departmental research and initiate cross-institutional working groups.
We work on the further development of the Thünen Soil Research Strategy and conduct own research on overarching issues.
As a central contact point, we are happy to answer your questions about soil, its use and protection, and put you in touch with the right contacts in the diverse institutes within Thuenen.