Green Jobs in the Forest Sector
Green Jobs in the European forest sector
What defines a Green Job in the European Forest Sector? How do Green Jobs look like and how can they support the just transition to a more sustainable forest sector and economy?
To answer these questions, the project “Green Jobs in the European forest sector” aims to analyse available information about forest-based green jobs, to identify challenges and opportunities for supporting green jobs and the just transition to a more sustainable forest sector and economy.
Background and Objective
The number of persons employed in the forest sector in Europe is in constant decline since many years. However, in order to master the challenges associated with the shift towards a green economy, climate change, the growing societal demand for ecosystem services, a sufficient number of skilled workforce is needed. In addition to the classical jobs in the forest sector there is a need for a skilled workforce for Green Jobs in emerging novel fields of work.
In order to get a better understanding about what Green Jobs in the European forest sector are, we analyse structure and development of Green Jobs. We provide information about quality, income and economical importance of employment and assess the challenges and opportunities related to Green Jobs in the European forest sector.
For the analyses we cooperate with experts participating in the Forest Europe Workstream Green Jobs and Forest Education initiated by the Forest Europe Liaison Office Bonn. Results of our analyses are at the same time input to the Forest Europe Workstream and will be published together through Forest Europe communication channels.
The project will follow a stepwise approach:
- Elaboration of a Definition of Green Forest Jobs
- Analysis of structure and development of Green Jobs in the Forest Europe region
- Analysis of economic impact of Green Jobs
- Assess the quality of forest-based employment in Europe
- Identify chances and challenges for the promotion of Green Jobs
- Develop paths to prepare the forest sector workforce to the just transition towards environmentally sustainable economies and societies for all
- Develop proposals to enhance attractiveness of Green Jobs in the European forest sector